12.22.2009

Oh Christmas Tree, OH CHRISTMAS TREE!

Our first Christmas as a little family! YAY! Christopher and I wanted to decorate but we are on a budget so we had to be smart about it. Luckily we found some great deals at Walmart and Target for decorations! AND my mother-in-law gave us this beautiful wreath that she made last year which I am SO grateful for!
We also decided to invest in a fake tree for now, hopefully it will last us until we decide to start buying real trees! You never know with my dog, she might just get a hankering for fake Christmas tree one day and then it will be toast! We decorated it with lights, and bulbs, and some of Christopher's old ornaments that he had made as a kid! Haha and that is really all the decorating we did! We decided that our Christmas decorating was a bit ghetto and it's perfect!

Ok now for the honest truth! This is my first Christmas away from my family and I got a bit depressed about it! Haha in fact I had a bit of a melt down and just started crying incessantly one night! Poor poor Christopher! He was so cute and even offered that we find a cheap ticket for me to fly to visit my parents for a couple of days! After a big hug and some blowing of the nose, I told him that I would be fine and that I was just missing them. THEN an idea hit me that would bring my parents and family Christmas to me! My dad's famous caramel popcorn!! My family has a Christmas tradition that consists of my dad making his yummy caramel-corn, my mom bagging and tagging it, and then us getting dressed up in our Santa hats and caroling to our friends and neighbors with the treat! We even invite Santa to join us (the guys rotate every year and I think next year Christopher is going to have to take his turn)! It is one of my favorite traditions my family has! SO I decided to make my dad's caramel popcorn! It definitely did the trick in cheering me up! AND it only took me one not so good batch to make a few great batches! Once I tasted this yummy treat I was instatly cured of my sadness! I am so thankful for traditions and families! I have an incredible family and even though I will be missing them this Christmas I also have wonderful in-laws to spend the holidays with and to experience/create new traditions with and I am so excited for that!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!

1 comment: